Kentucky Health InsuranceIndividuals and Families
Kentucky Health Insurance
How to find an affordable plan.
Choosing an affordable health insurance provider is a difficult decision that requires consumers to do their homework prior to making a choice. For residents in Kentucky, Health Insurance Online has the valuable resources to build a foundation of knowledge to help make an informed decision when enrolling in a new health insurance plan. Many citizens in Kentucky that are uninsured are not aware of the coverage options that exist in the state. Some of the options are employer based benefits, individual and family health plans, and government assistance plans depending on eligibility. If you do not receive health insurance through your employer, health insurance may be available directly from health insurers doing business in this state. This means it is up to you to find a private insurer. Seeking the assistance of a licensed health insurance agent may be helpful in determining the type of plan, and which policy, best meets your needs. The licensed agent can answer many of your questions and assist you in applying for health coverage. There are health benefit plans and limited health benefit plans offered. Below is a description of several different types of plans.
Health Benefit Plans are major medical health plans that can be purchased for yourself and/or your family. Major medical health insurance covers the expenses associated with comprehensive medical services including serious illness or hospitalization.
Limited Medical Benefit Plans or “Mini Meds” are health insurance plans that provide fewer benefits than a health benefit plan. These plans may be offered through employers and to individuals through trade associations.
Limited Health Service Benefit Plans provide services for dental, vision, mental health, substance abuse, chiropractic, pharmaceutical, podiatric, or other such services.
Short Term Major Medical Plans are plans that are issued for less than 12 months in various intervals which offer benefits to cover some expenses of major illness and injury. There may be lifetime limits imposed.
Leading Kentucky Health Insurance Companies
Health insurance Laws that You Should Know
- The Employee Retirement Income Security Act: this law regulates the way companies provide health insurance coverage to retirees and guards your rights in associations with those plans.
- Women's Health and Cancer Rights Act: Provides protection for patients with breast cancer demanding insurances cover breast reconstruction surgery following a mastectomy should the patient desire it.
- The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act: Often known as COBRA this law demands that former employees, their spouses and children have the right to receive temporary coverage under existing group health insurance plans at the same group rates they paid during employment.
- Mental Health Parity Act: This law that the dollar limits (annual or lifetime) not be lower than the surgical and medical benefits of a group health plan.
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act: This law protects those with existing health conditions and protects individuals from discrimination based on those illnesses in regards to eligibility for affordable health insurance.
- The Newborns' and Mothers' Health Protection Act: Mandates specific protection and specifies minimum coverage for hospital stays after childbirth.
Make use of the Internet to understand what laws protect you, what types of health insurance are in your best interest and what coverage plans are available in your area. You will find Humana and Bluegrass Family Health are at the top of the list every time you weigh the possible alternatives.
Resources and information
Kentucky Medicare Plans
Seniors age 65 and older are eligible for a variety of Medicare plans in Ohio. Medicare plan options include Medigap and Medicare Advantage policies:
Kentucky Doctor Directory
Doctors practicing medicine in the State of Kentucky are licensed by the state. Doctors accept different forms of health insurance which you can verify before setting an appointment.